631 / 875 / 2631
Greenport, NY
Weather
44°
scattered clouds
humidity: 65%
wind: 5mph NNE
H 44 • L 44
60°
Wed
65°
Thu
64°
Fri
Weather from OpenWeatherMap

north

The first light on the site was built in 1829. The current structure at Sandy Point is the fourth lighthouse built on the site and was made of granite and iron in 1867. The light was deactivated in 1973 and United States Fish and Wildlife Service acquired the lighthouse. The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It became dilapidated and was sold to New Shoreham in 1984, and relighted in 1989. A wind generator and solar panels provide much of the power for the building. Block Island North Lighthouse on Wikipedia

Station established: 1829
Present lighthouse built: 1868

Automated: 1956
Discontinued: 1973
Relighted: 1989

Construction material: Granite, iron
Height of tower: 55 feet
Height of focal plane: 61 feet

Original optics: Seven oil lamps and 16-inch parabolic reflectors (1829); Fourth order Fresnel (1868)

Characteristic: Flashing white every five seconds (currently on steel tower to the north of the lighthouse)

Other buildings still standing: Two storage buildings