Orient Long Beach Bar Light is a lighthouse off Orient, New York. It is interesting because it was originally a screwpile lighthouse that was later converted to concrete caisson foundation. Its early appearance as a screwpile lighhouse gave it the nickname “Bug Light” as there were no other such lighthouses in the vicinity.
The Long Beach Bar Light was destroyed in 1963 by fire. A replica was rebuilt (the foundation survived). The building was reassembled in 1990, and re-activated as a navigational aid in 1993.
The Archives Center at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History has a collection (#1055) of souvenir postcards of lighthouses and has digitized 272 of these and made them available online. These include postcards of Orient Long Beach Bar Light with links to customized nautical charts provided by National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. Orient Long Beach Bar Lighthouse on Wikipedia
First Lighted: December 1, 1871
First Keeper: William Thompson
Light (1873): fifth order Fresnel lens, fixed red light.
Light (1939): fourth order Fresnel lens, fixed red, incandescent oil vapor, 870 cp.
Light (1990): 250mm automated optic, white flashing, 4 seconds
Fog Signal (1871): cast steel bell struck by machine every 15 seconds
Fog Signal (1990): none
Height of light above sea level (1873): 54 feet
Height of light above sea level (1990): 63 feet
Destroyed by fire: July 1963
Rebuilt and re-lit: September 1990