631 / 875 / 2631
Greenport, NY
Weather
44°
scattered clouds
humidity: 65%
wind: 5mph NNE
H 44 • L 44
60°
Wed
65°
Thu
64°
Fri
Weather from OpenWeatherMap

dumpling

The lighthouse was established in 1849 and the current tower was first lit in 1871. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1959. The foundation is wood pilings and stone and the construction is brick and wood shingle. The tower is octagonal with a white lantern. In 1893 a fifth order Fresnel lens and a new Funck lamp were installed, replacing a Sixth Order Fresnel lens that was installed in 1871.

Dean Kamen now owns the island, where he has installed advanced illumination and isolated it from the power grid. North Dumpling Lighthouse on Wikipedia

Established: 1849

First keeper: Alfred Clark, appointed December 8, 1848

Light (1849): 7 lamps, 14″ reflectors, fixed red
Light (1855): sixth order steamer lens, 225o, and Argon lamp, fixed red
Light (1907): 300mm, fixed white with fixed red sector

Fog signal (1857): fog bell
Fog signal (1873): fog bell struck by machine every 15 seconds

Rebuilt: 1871

Height of light above sea level: (1863) 70 feet